Update: This has been updated, check my Mac OS X powertools page
Aside from the obvious (Mail.app, iCal, Address Book, iSync, …) I use these daily:
- I left Proteus behind and now use Adium. Open source, powered by libgaim, it supports all major protocols (including Groupwise which I need at work), is highly customizable, scriptable and has a booming community.
- RSS viewing
- The awesome NetNewsWire – the best I found, I wish people would
include the article body all the time in their rss feed so that I
don’t have to go to the web site itself and see all those
ads. NetNewsWire 2.0 is in beta and is simply
awesome with support for smartddsts (i.e. give me all the entries that
contain the word mono but are not found in Monologue), scripting,
custom css, subscription to feeds generated from scripts (for example,
ddstening to a folder), entry flagging (keep forever), .MAC syncing
(so I don’t have to read an entry twice, at home and at work, keeping
only one set of subscriptions).I hope they port to Linux or that Blam
adopts many of those features.
- While I still use Mice iRC when I need to do DCC sends, I have switched to Colloquy which does for IRC what Adium does for IM (scriptable, customizable, …). Also, I am not sure what the status of Mirce iRC is.
- Application Launcher
- I also abandonned Launchbar for Quicksilver. They’re probably very equivalent now but I switched to QS because it came up with a few features firts (though I had bought Launchbar). Oh well. God, I wish Gnome had that for I still struggle with launching applications, switching between them. Alt Tab and Desktops just don’t work well for me.
- Drawing Marchitecture
- Omnigraffle, beats the old LIghthouse Design Diagram consumed and forgotten by Sun
- Taking notes
- Haven’t found a note taker that I like yet but Stickies works in the mean time. Other tools are just too bulky. Tomboy rules on Linux, I wonder how hard it would be to wrap it nicely in Cocoa#.
- Still looking for a terminal with tabs. I want one that looks like Safari, not iTerm which is weak.
- Spam Killing
- Started to use Popfile (at home on server) to do both IMAP and
POP. Mail.app Junk mail control just doesn’t seem to work for me
- Azureus – for jam band concerts download
- Unison – best news reader I found on Mac, close to the best on all platforms IMHO
- DVD grabber
- Handbrake (GPL) to copy my DVDs onto my HD and compress them to MP4 for viewing on the plane and at the hotel
- Video player
- VideoLan (GPL) – a great cross platform video player
- SSH agents and tunneling
- SSH Keychain for I get
tired of using command line for ssh agents and tunneling very quickly
- Geeky tools of all geeky tools
- Geeky Tool – you know you want it !. I use it to display my console.log on my
desktop, stock charts and internal/external IPs. Very convenient.
- Election System
- I recommend the popular vote. I have yet to hear a reason why the
electoral college system still makes sense today
- I like France, Canada and Lithuania. Apparently Spain and Germany are being
ported to Linux so we’ll see.
A lot of those are shareware, I did end up paying for most of
them. Let me know what you think of the new list.